During one of our recent coaching sessions, one of our member lawyers posed a great question about writing blog articles as a form of advertising. Is this an effective way to seek out new leads? We certainly believe it is.
Writing articles about topics of interest to your prospects is a wonderful way to become a trusted legal expert and thought-leader in your community. However, there are a few important things to consider to ensure your blog marketing is effective.
Whether you are writing articles at no cost for a specific website, for your website or paying for distribution to a subscription list, there are some important things to remember:
- When writing for an audience other than your own, ensure that the audience is the target audience you are looking to reach.
- Be sure that you have a very clear call to action included within the article. For example, if you have a free download (ie: free e-book) to offer as a means for building your email list, this sign-up option should definitely be included in the article. And make sure that the way for readers to get your “free thing” is by entering their name and email address so you can send follow up emails inspiring them to book an appointment with you and become a client.
- If the organization you are writing for does not allow you to include a call to action in the article itself, consider adding a link so that when they click on it, they are taken directly to your sign-up page.
- If you are not allowed to do either #2 or #3, but you are allowed to provide people a direct free download, then be sure to include a specific call to action (ie: side banner) within the download.
- Articles usually include bios. Within your bio also add links to free downloads where people can sign up and get onto your email list.
- If you have the resources to target people with FB ads, add pixels onto the pages that you are directing people to so that even if they do not give you their name and email address on that page, you can target them later with FB ads. This is also a good option to set up on your website so that you can target traffic accurately.
Are You Ready To Create the Law Practice You Always Dreamed Of? Start Here: